On 8 July 2011 19:32, Nicolas Pitre <nicolas.pi...@linaro.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Jul 2011, Dave Martin wrote:
>> On Fri, Jul 08, 2011 at 12:21:27AM +0100, David Gilbert wrote:
>> > Nicolas just added; Richard's argument is that if it was actually a
>> > VDSO I'd just have linked against a symbol and if the symbol wasn't
>> > there then I would have got a fairly normal linker error - I wouldn't
>> > have needed any special code; and to be honest I think that would also
>> > solve the problem that accessing that wacky address is also a pain for
>> > things like qemu because we're going to have to intercept that read.
>>
>> Note that pre-existing code already calls into the vectors page.
>
> Right, qemu must be intercepting it already.  The kernel helpers located
> at a fixed address in the vector page have been around for more than 6
> years.

QEMU supports calls into the fixed vector page (it just special cases
attempts to execute at addresses >= 0xffff0000 and emits code to do
"cause special purpose exception" so we get control back at runtime).
What it doesn't support is attempts to do a load from the vector page,
because so far nobody has had a need to probe the vector page for what
it supports.

-- PMM