On Fri, Jul 08, 2011 at 12:21:27AM +0100, David Gilbert wrote:
> On 5 July 2011 15:49, Dave Martin <dave.mar...@linaro.org> wrote:
> > On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 6:10 PM, David Gilbert <david.gilb...@linaro.org>
> > wrote:

[...]

> My patch is having to test an arbitrary address in the commpage in
> init code to see if it's new enough to have the new helper that

Minor niggle: the address is in no way arbitrary.  Although there's no
corresponding C symbol, it's a well-known absolute address.

> Nicolas just added; Richard's argument is that if it was actually a
> VDSO I'd just have linked against a symbol and if the symbol wasn't
> there then I would have got a fairly normal linker error - I wouldn't
> have needed any special code; and to be honest I think that would also
> solve the problem that accessing that wacky address is also a pain for
> things like qemu because we're going to have to intercept that read.

Note that pre-existing code already calls into the vectors page.
Introducing a VDSO interface will not automatically cause all software
to stop using the binary interface.

How much of a problem that is in practice, I don't know.

This doesn't necessarily mean that adding a VDSO interface is bad,
but it does mean the existing interface can't easily be changed or
removed.

Cheers
---Dave