On 26 August 2011 14:38, Amit Kucheria <amit.kuche...@linaro.org> wrote:
>> > a) Is the omission of the "Developers and Community Builds" links from
>> > http://www.linaro.org/downloads/ intentional?
>>
>> Yes, it is. We made the choice to promote only the officially supported
>> builds
>> on the downloads page. Developers and Community Builds (DCBs) are not
>> officially
>> supported.
>
> Developer images are probably the most used by kernel developers. Perhaps a
> link to a page listing all miscellaneous images would be useful for people
> walking off the street to check out Linaro aka. not subscribed to our mailing
> lists. You already have that section on the wiki release page.

Asac reply covers this: the new download page will include the
developer and community builds similar to the wiki page with a
prominent warning.

>> > d) For vexpress specifically, there is no link from the release pages
>> > or downloads to the specific installation instructions applicable to
>> > this board.  Even I find these difficult to find without bookmarking.
>> > Because that information is very board-specific, I don't think it
>> > needs to be included on
>> > https://wiki.linaro.org/Platform/DevPlatform/Ubuntu/ImageInstallation
>> > -- but can we at least have a link on there pointing to the
>> > appropriate page?
>>
>> I have the same concern. We have per board instructions:
>>  * on the forms used for testing. e.g. http://bit.ly/pFnQQh
>>  * on releases.l.o
>>    e.g. http://releases.linaro.org/platform/linaro-n/ubuntu/leb-panda/11.08/
>>
>> IMO, the image installation should be board specific. The generic
>> instructions
>> are good but I would prefer to have the following workflow:
>> 1. I have this board (identify board)
>> 2. I need these images (identify images for the board)
>> 3. Here's the correct step by step instructions to flash my board
>>
>> Now, we need to the improve the image installation to achieve that...
>
> Isn't Linaro-Media-Builder (fetch_image_ui.py) meant to remove the need for
> having so many different pages of instructions?

It assumes you know l-m-b and know where/how to get it. At this point,
you reached the step 3: step by step instructions to flash the board,
including how to get the tools.