On 30 August 2011 10:50, Christian Robottom Reis <k...@linaro.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 10:46:55AM -0500, Zach Pfeffer wrote:
>> Because we push everything upstream.
>
> While I agree with that blanket statement, there's no reason we wouldn't
> provide a [potentially temporary] version of repo that included the
> changes we're pushing upstream.
>
> We do this for every one of the components we ship, so I see no
> philosophical reason why we wouldn't do so for repo.
>
> Is there a technical reason?

There's no reason to do it now, because its solving the wrong problem.
The problem is sha's disappear. We use sha's because the provide
immovable references to the state of a set of git trees so that people
can reproduce builds exactly. We don't need the change to tag a build
after its been deemed correct, we just need to implement a function to
tag across the gits so that all the shas continue to exist.

In addition, telling people to use Linaro'r repo over Android's is an
additional burden to the user and a barrier to the use of our builds.
If the changes value is greater than this burden than it would be good
to direct people to use our repo, if we can take a different approach
that saves us this redirection, while that change is upstreamed we
should do do that thing since redirecting people to use our repo is a
significant burden to the user.