On Wed, 22 Feb 2012 17:21:45 -0200, Christian Robottom Reis <k...@linaro.org>
wrote:
> > Is there a reason why we don't simply preinstall that key in the apt
> > keyring before shipping the filesystem?
>
> It's a good question. I'm going to borrow James W.'s opinion here who
> will know of any unforseen consequences of it.

There shouldn't be any issues with doing this. Users of the image are
trusting Linaro already, so trusting the PPA is just an extension of
that.

The image build should insert the key using the long fingerprint though
(not the 8 character version) to avoid collision attacks on the build
process.

> > The same goes for pre-seeding the apt litsts: downloading them as
> > linaro-media-create time is worryingly non-deterministic.  Really, the
> > releases should be 100% self-contained.
>
> I think the reason we don't pre-seed these is that they take up a lot of
> space on the downloaded image. Am I wrong?

No, that's right. Usually linaro-media-create doesn't actually need the
downloaded files either. Unfortunately there aren't apt APIs to do what
it needs to do without downloading all of the files though.

Thanks,

James