Hey,

On 03/15/2012 01:39 AM, Tony Mansson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is interesting. I'd like to reproduce the Ethernet speed tests.
>
> Do you have the exact command lines?

Sure. You'll need two machines, on being the board. Both need to be in
the same 100 or 1000 MBit/s LAN.

On the receiver's end, run:

  netcat -l 8000 > /dev/null

This will listen for incoming data on a TCP socket on port 8000. Then,
given the receiver's IP address, run the following command on the
sender's end:

  dd if=/dev/zero bs=1024k count=256 > /dev/tcp/<RECEIVER IP>/8000

Note that "/dev/tcp/XYZ/8000" is a bash-specific feature.

When this command has finished, it will tell you the transfer rate. You
can cancel it anytime and it will give you the same information. But be
sure not to cancel too early as that makes the measurement less
reliable. Obviously, you can change count= to whatever you want. E.g.
with the Origen, you'd probably want to only send 10-100 MByte.

Also, you can swap receiver and sender to make sure that running netcat
on the board is not causing things to slow down.

Not the best benchmark in the world, but it's simple and you can run it
as often if you want to make it more reliable.

Hope that helps,
Jannis