On Apr 4, 2012, at 1:13 PM, Dmitry Antipov wrote:

> On 04/02/2012 02:18 PM, Pantelis Antoniou wrote:
>
>> Ah, about the load it's because perf sched record adds too many events to the
>> recording (and configuring small buffers for perf). Using a smaller set
>> of events works much better.
>
> I tried with a different subsets of 'sched:*' events, but it didn't help
> too much - shell interactivity ruins to almost zero for everything beyond
> 'perf sched record sleep 10'.
>
>> One thing I did was to record on /tmp - You have enough memory for this to
>> work.
>
> Even with this, I can see a periodical noise about lost samples. It looks
> like that perf subsystem is quite CPU-intensive even for the case where
> the workload itself is just a thing like 'sleep 10'.
>
> Dmitry

That is quite weird; I've done all my tests with a pandaboard as well.
Are you using NFS root? What kind of kernel version?

But yes, perf is a hog; ASCII trace output definitely stresses the system.
Gimme a few hours to see if I can come up with a record configuration that's
lighter.

Regards

-- Pantelis