just some random thoughts on our release model, etc..  I've been
meaning to write up for a while but haven't had time

There has been some feedback, for example on #pandaboard, that the
monthly release cycle is confusing and detrimental for folks looking
for something working and stable, and not necessarily bleeding edge,
the question is, "should I upgrade?", "what is fixed and what is now
broken?".  Linaro is doing some great upstream work, and enabling
features on these boards, and it is good to showcase that, but I'm not
really sure the best way to do this is rush that into the next monthly
release and break things for all the new users of their shiny new
xyz-board.

I tend to think that part of the problem is that the cadence of
monthly releases is too fast for any sort of stability.  Perhaps we
should think more along the lines of releases roughly every quarter
(potentially with "beta"s in between).  I don't think we should
strictly adhere to a time based release cycle, but we should call it a
final/stable release when it actually is so.  There is a reason that
the linux kernel uses an approx 3 month release cycle, but doesn't
stick to that dogmatically when things aren't really at release
quality yet.

But, we do still need a place for latest-and-greatest bleeding edge
for folks who want to check out what we are working on.  One approach,
for example for ubuntu releases, we could have a "release" and "trunk"
PPA for bleeding-edge.. that way folks looking for bleeding-edge can
get it, and folks looking for "it just works" are not screwed.  I'm
not quite sure what android equivalent would be, but I guess we could
figure something out.  This gives folks in board specific channels
like #pandaboard who are trying to help new users something to
reliably point them at without having to worry if they are giving bad
advice to recommend a linaro filesystem.  And updates do not have to
be tied to a time-based schedule.  If something is broken for feature
x for board y in the release PPA, then as soon as it is fixed (and if
it doesn't break board z), then push an update to the release PPA.
But maybe big new features shouldn't immediately go to the release PPA
without some soak time first in the trunk PPA.  It is great to be
enabling new features, but for someone new to the arm platform I don't
want to just frustrate and scare them off.

Also, I wonder if we should split #linaro, either into #linaro-devel
and leave #linaro as a place that users can come to for help, or setup
a separate #linaro-users?  This way we aren't just dumping out new
releases with nowhere for users to turn to for help..  (Well, they can
always come to #linaro but I guess this would help with the
signal-to-noise..)

BR,
-R