On 10/7/2010 7:03 AM, Dave Martin wrote:

> However, just from consistency arguments, I think that if we were to
> have problems build linaro U-Boot with the linaro toolchain that would
> be a bad thing

>From a practical perspective, that is likely true.

However, the fact that the Linux kernel and U-Boot are traditionally
built with toolchains that target Linux is abstractly wrong.  The kernel
and U-Boot are not Linux applications (which is what a *-linux*
toolchain is intended to build); they are bare-metal applications (which
is what a *-eabi* toolchain is intended to build).  That is one of the
reasons that building the kernel and U-Boot tends to require lots of
complex command-line options; you have to tell the compiler that it
can't assume it's building a Linux application.

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery