I'm really sorry to have started this, but for completeness here is
the rest of the story.  The hypothetical scenario is a developer that
maintains u-boot for multiple platforms.  Using a codesourcery or eldk
(from denx.de) toolchain one can use the appropriate -march= to get
the right code from the compiler.  Also the libgcc.a is ARM so all is
well.  Using a linaro toolchain using the same -march= you get the
right code from the compiler but the result will get linked with a
Thumb-2 libgcc.a and the resulting binary will not run on an older
ARM.  If however libgcc.a was ARM then it would just work.  Again, I'm
not saying this is a bug or even something for Linaro to care about.
It just means that the Linaro toolchain is not something that this
hypothetical u-boot maintainer would want to use as his/her one and
only toolchain.

The naive magical solution would be to for the linker to understand
the -march="old non Thumb-2 ARM" and flag an error when linking with a
Thumb-2 libgcc.a.  Even better would be for the toolchain to have
multiple libgcc's and use the right one.

The answer is that the developer just needs to know that the libgcc in
the Linaro toolchain is Thumb-2 so they must use the libgcc included
in the u-boot source when building for old ARM targets.

Again, sorry for injecting this noise.  My question is answered.

John