Well said Kristen.
Thank you for your courage.

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

On Friday, February 3, 2023, 12:19 PM, Kristen Ferris
<ferris.kris...@gmail.com> wrote:

I am not a regular LT user and so apologies, I can’t figure out how to respond
directly to this morning’s thread, but wanted to add to the discussion.

I value the discussion and debate in the LT community, and appreciate the
sentiments expressed around that. At the same time, I think virtual forums can
allow us to be more hurtful and lacking in empathy than we would be in other
in-person discussions, and I think we have to guard against that. Statements
that are personally hurtful should not be allowed here.

In that vein, I think calling out any Boston resident parent of our school
community as "not a Lincoln parent" is hurtful, especially in the context of
this person making such a generous commitment to our shared school community.
We know our Boston resident students and families experience less belonging in
our school and town communities, and this impacts their daily experiences and
outcomes. These sorts of statements move us in the wrong direction.

Yes, every parent brings their own perspective. And, I think we should all
recognize that for many, many years in our decision-making, the Boston resident
community has been under-represented. And, that this is a community that it is
particularly important to design for, in the context of the data we have on
belonging in our district.

I know many of us are grappling with how to reckon with the ongoing structural
racism and other forms of institutionalized privilege around us. Beginning to
over-represent those that have been historically underrepresented seems like a
great way to start.

Kristen Ferris

Sent from my iPhone