I agree.

I'd like to push back on the idea that you can't live in Lincoln without a
car. We moved here in June 2016 with two young kids, and I didn't know how
to drive. I got them around town using a bike trailer -- to camps, to
school, to playdates, etc. It wasn't ideal, and I would have much preferred
an electric cargo bike, but I had to get myself to and from Cambridge via
Porter Square and inbound trains involve stairs. (It would have been too
heavy for me to lift onto the train, and I couldn't leave it in Lincoln at
the station for days on end.)

All of that is to say that you can probably manage most, if not all,
erranding around town with an electric or regular old bicycle, and that
includes transporting other people, but for that I'd recommend the
electric.

If, on top of an electric or regular bicycle, people living without cars in
Lincoln had access to a number of Zipcars, located at the train station, I
think they could forgo owning a car altogether. (If you are wondering how
much I drive now that I have a license, I can tell you that I have put 168
miles on my car since January 1.)

I'd also like to push back on the idea that Lincoln can't support more
housing. I grew up in New York City, and moved to a very small town in
Westchester County called Bronxville when I was in 7th grade. Bronxville,
like Lincoln, is a very desirable place to live, with a much-admired school
system, in close proximity to the city, and served by the commuter rail.

Unlike Lincoln, Bronxville has, like virtually all towns along the train
tracks in Westchester County, a terrific commercial center
<https://www.bronxvillechamber.org> with an impressive number of shops,
restaurants, and services. Within walking distance of the train station,
there are several hundred apartments, many of which are by and large much
less expensive on a per square foot basis than single family houses in
town. Metro-North is relied upon by most people to commute or go into the
city since street parking is a nightmare, garages are expensive, and Grand
Central is a treat. And (a different conversation but worth mentioning) the
bustling commercial center and greater housing density both help pay for
things like the school and community services.

According to Google, Bronxville and Lincoln have a near identical
population of a little more than 6,000 people. Bronxville is 1 mile square.
Lincoln (again according to Google) is 15 square miles, of which something
like 35% of the land in town is held in conservation. My point is that
Lincoln, unlike Bronxville, is rural, and it is going to stay rural,
whether we allow 10 units of housing to be built near the train station, or
100. And Lincoln could, I think, support -- with its similar population,
both size-wise and socioeconomically -- at least half a dozen more of
something (anything!) near the train station.

I draw this comparison between two very desirable and familiar-to-me towns
with similar populations and demographics to say that Bronxville's mayor
sort of, maybe, has a leg to stand on when she says
<https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/22/opinion/new-york-housing-crisis-kathy-hochul.html>
that the state housing mandate is going to be very difficult to fulfill,
and besides, they already have a lot of apartments. From the standpoint of
this very late-to-drive, public-transportation-loving relative outsider, it
is hard to believe that anybody in Lincoln is trying to make a similar
claim.

Lis