Hi John - some responses to you below, preceded by the ## sign.

> On Sep 17, 2023, at 8:42 AM, john gregg via Lincoln <lincoln@lincolntalk.org>
> wrote:
>
> The concept of having a “Community Center” is to have a Community, not a pod
> here and there. This is not just about the elderly but to also bring in
> families who want to spend the rest of their lives in that community

## People’s needs inevitably change over time.  The idea that every town,
irrespective of size and economic resources, should provide every needed
service to every age group doesn’t make sense.

> because it provides services to all

## It does provide services to all, it just doesn’t provide every service
people want.  Nor should it.

> and not just the elite who want to protect property and their gardens over
> society.

## I always find these admonishments of the wealthy to be puzzling.  These
pesky selfish rich people you refer to are already paying the overwhelming
majority of the property tax bill that finances all of these community
services.  You want them to pay a lot more for services they won’t really use
and don’t need, AND you want to admonish them while you do it?

> Parks and Rec Dept given a bigger budget and space can provide services not
> included today if you as a town give them the facility to make it happen.

## I fail to see how brand new large offices will help PRD to more effectively
maintain our playing fields or tennis courts.  Speaking only for myself, I’d be
very pleased if PRD just focused on doing its current activities really well.
I don’t feel like we need more programming or an expanded PRD scope, and I
think most people I know tend to agree.

> This includes the COA and you are paying back and not taking from the
> community by saying crackers and juice is okay.

> We can call any Assisted Living facility and get that kind of care.
>
> Mind boggling at best why the community debates numbers over need and
> responsibility to care for the youth and elderly.

## The community debates it because our little town has limited resources and
many competing priorities.  We need to make good choices about what we spend
our money on, because we don’t have an unlimited amount of it.

> Numbers are it is a small community and needs may be low,

## On this, we agree. Needs are low.  Or more accurately, in some areas needs
may be higher, but they aren’t needs our town is well equipped to respond to.

> but if you want to pay for the school the Town needs to bring in and keep
> people to pay for a school

## Those people paying for the majority of the school are the richest tax
payers (the ones who pay the most property tax).  The same ones you admonished
above.