I’ve held back on commenting, but the bus stop at Hanscom has definitely been
on my mind since the HCAWG meeting where there was agreement to expand options
beyond the “C” versions.

As discussed in this thread,  North Lincoln has access on Hanscom Drive to MBTA
Bus #76 that goes to Alewife Station. The commute to Alewife is about 30
minutes and the cost is $1.70 each way—less than 1/4 the cost of the Commuter
Rail from Lincoln Station to North Station ($8.75 each way!).  In the 25 years
I’ve lived in Lincoln, I’ve used the commuter rail less than a handful of
times—but I can’t count the times that we’ve parked at Alewife to hop on the
Red Line to get into Cambridge and Boston.  While this is beyond the scope of
the HCAWG, I’d welcome more bus options from Lincoln  to Alewife via the Rt. 2
corridor—and even a commuter lot for it.

Also, for car-access from North Lincoln to major transportation-arteries such
as 2A, 2 and 95/128, there would be no need to drive through the center of town.

The prospect of increased traffic congestion on Lincoln Road is a real concern
if the bulk of the 635 units are concentrated only in the Lincoln Station area,
as Option C rezoning could result in.

Anyone spending the market rate of $4000/month for a two-bedroom apartment in
Lincoln will have two cars.  How else would they get to the doctor, the
dentist, the soccer games, the pharmacy… and all the other places that we all
go?  Will people really take the commuter rail to go to the hardware store in
Concord Ctr. (at $2.75 each way)—or will they drive their cars?  And what about
going to Verrill Farm or Costco or any number of other places not close to
public transportation?  These new Lincoln residents will drive.

The “hub and spoke” configuration of our main roads doesn’t give anyone needing
to get to the schools or the Mall/Station along Lincoln Road an alternative
route. Likewise accessing major-arteries like Rt 2 can involve a trip down
Lincoln Rd. for many residents.  Combine the added cars with the need to stop
for train crossings (on one end at the station) and a five-way stop (at the
other end in the Old Town Center), and it seems reasonable to predict that you
will have some regular major bottlenecks on your hands that will also impact
residents on Upland Field, Beaver Pond, Pierce Hill, Macintosh Lane, Todd Pond,
Wells Rd, Meadowdam, etc… and further along “downstream” along Bedford Rd.,
Trapelo Rd., Sandy Pond Rd., Weston Rd.  Etc. due to line ups at the
flowerpot/five corners… It also seems reasonable to suspect that there also
would be more cut-through traffic on Tower Rd.  to avoid backups.

I realize the variables are complicated, and I thank everyone who is puzzling
over this act and its requirements. Dispersing additional housing beyond the
20% at Lincoln station seems prudent.

Best

Carolyn