While I’m chiming in regarding the HCA, I feel the need to separately address
the issue of affordability:

I understand the Act as written limits affordable units to 10% of the housing
built.  This really gets me steamed.  The housing challenge in the greater
Boston area isn’t simply a lack of housing units, it's also the lack of
affordable housing units.  I just looked on Zillow and saw that in Boston,
Cambridge, Arlington, Newton, and Brookline combined right now, there are
almost 7000 rental listings (some of which have multiple units per building
open)—empty and wanting residents.  Another search in Wayland finds 21 vacant
market rate units in the big development on Boston Post Rd.    If these were
affordable, they would be occupied.

I attended an event at the Stone House in Roxbury this week and spoke with
their housing coordinators about the challenges they face in trying to rehouse
the people they serve: survivors of domestic abuse who need safe shelter away
from their abusers.  Their story is the same:  it’s not a lack of housing—it’s
a lack of affordable housing.  The housing coordinators are veterans and
experts in networking and navigating Massachusetts‘ affordable and transitional
housing resources and private landlords—but the reality is that there aren’t
enough options that are affordable and stable to meet the need.  (And here,
I’ll also put in a plug about the amazing wraparound services being provided by
The Stone House for survivors of trauma—both adults and children. October is
Domestic Violence  Awareness and Prevention Month: please consider a donation
to the Stone House to support their critical work!
https://www.stonehouseinc.org/ ).

Adding potentially 635 units of high density housing here--of which 90% is at
market rate--will not solve the greater Boston area’s housing problem.  Anyone
spinning it this way is being disingenuous. 571 units at around $4000/month?
This act will line the pockets of developers.  If we’re concerned about social
issues related to housing, we would demand that the 10% limit be raised.  Not
only that, but we would be in active conversations with the HCAWG’s of
surrounding towns to push back en masse on this poorly written act.

Another way I look at it is this:  if I were willing to pay $4000/month on my
housing, I could conceivably purchase a home for roughly around $500,000.00
(with no downpayment) and still cover my taxes and insurance. This is based on
a quick calculation using an online mortgage calculator—it’s an imprecise
sketch and I realize that a minimum of 20% down is more realistic, but it’s
something to base a conversation on. My main point is:  Instead of kissing
goodbye to $4000 in rent every month, I’d be building capital. Homeownership is
a catalyst for building wealth. Average people caught in a cycle of paying
exorbitant rent have less ability to build wealth and savings over time. How
can one save for that 20% down when rents are so high?  Google “homeownership
and social justice“ and you’ll see plenty of articles that address the
connection between property ownership, systemic racism, and the growing wealth
gap.  This Act does nothing to address these issues—and it could be said that
it perpetuates them by mandating 90% of the units be available at market rate.

It’s all well and good to talk about supply and demand, but the fact remains
that there are plenty (thousands) of vacant rentals in the Boston area right
now, and they appear to be immune to market pressures. I’m not against
increasing housing in Lincoln, but this blanket mandate seems really poorly
conceived by limiting affordable units to 10%.

I hope that just as this act was changed in August to include commercial areas
within the building zone (and I commend those who saw that refinements were
necessary!), there is still time to refine the act further with regard to an
increase in the percentage of allowable affordable housing.  In fact it should
incentivize more affordable housing.  I hope a coalition of towns with similar
concerns can collaborate and push for  improvements in this act.  It may have
been conceived with good intentions, but—well, we all know where that road can
go ;)

Best

Carolyn