I'm not sure why we are playing this game of hide the 'expected'
developments.

It is true that very little in life is guaranteed. However, I think smart
citizens should expect development to follow zoning.  Cautious citizens
should definitely be prepared and expect for it to follow.  I think it is
safe to say that the HCAWG also appears to expect development to follow the
zoning based on today's meeting, when more low impact zoning ideas were
rejected in favor of the current set and "getting something" as I believe
was said at the time.

There are huge financial incentives that have made the idea of joining the
HCA zoning attractive to property owners and potential developers.
Unfortunately some of those incentives might be directly at odds with the
town's interests.

The Mall has gotten the most attention, as RLF has been the only property
owner that has publicly stated that they plan to develop.  But
realistically, it is just one of the new developments that would
likely follow.

After all, if Doherty's is indeed leaving, zoning it for over 20 housing
units makes a very strong financial incentive to build something along
those lines at that location.  Being zoned mixed use doesn't require any
commercial return and we could as a town see an actual decline in our
commercial center as a result of the new zoning proposals.

If "Codman corner"  is zoned for 83 units on 4 acres, there is a very
strong financial incentive to build those 83 units there. If Codman is
zoned at 180 units, then there will be a very strong financial incentive to
build 180 units on the street.

All of these potential developments would be done under the new zoning
without the normal town approval process and without any remaining sticks
to encourage affordability above 10%, green energy goals, or almost any
other concerns the town might have.

There is a reason the town has never previously just abdicated our town
approval process like the HCA proposals suggest we do so.  A small
committee is now asking the town to do so and take that incredibly bold
leap of faith.  Asking that we further assume that this zoning doesn't
matter and maybe nothing changes feels silly at best.

I think the first question any HCA committee should have asked was how much
do we really want to tie our hands as a town and make it more difficult to
get affordability above 10% and any other town goals we might have from the
(most likely) several incoming developments.

Instead, the committee has decided to start with a position that we want to
reduce our town leverage going forward and done so to such an extent that
it even included proposing zoning municipal land that gives 0 credit to the
laws compliance.

The core issue isn't complicated -- should the town try and maintain as
much oversight as possible, or should we cater to the financial interests
of developers and affected property owners in the hopes that the
reduced oversight and regulations makes more buildings happen.

Jeff Birchby
Twin Pond Lane