On Tue, Nov 7, 2023 at 3:40 PM Scott Clary <scottclar...@gmail.com> wrote:

> We all have the ability to not open these emails and use our delete button.
>
> I have not witnessed any personal attacks or toxicity regarding the HCA
> issue.

Perhaps, but I have seen a lot of posts telling us what *will* happen if
x-and-y is passed, including some pretty extreme numbers.   Unless someone
has a crystal ball, none of us knows what *will* happen.  We can say what
*might* happen, what we think is *likely* to happen, what *could* happen,
etc., but not what *will* happen.

> Why would anyone be opposed to the ultimate form of democracy - town
> meeting - two-thirds majority vote which has been the norm for Lincoln for
> many years now. The townspeople have most always gotten it right. Should
> not the majority have the final say?

Well, our town and our region is extremely segregated along racial and
economic lines, as well as in the range of housing options -  which is what
prompted the HCA.   The high threshold of a two-thirds majority helps
perpetuate the same exclusionary policies.   The concept of *maintaining
the character of the town *can be well-meaning, but can also be code for
resisting any change and keeping others out.   That argument has been used
over and over again as a way to resist integration.

Lincoln already has a very large percentage of its open space already
protected, so this isn't really about that.

Respectfully,

-Bob

Kind Regards,