I would like to endorse the comments in this thread by Ruth Ann and Allen,
and respectfully disagree with Peter's:

   - The people who have researched the options for a community center have
   demonstrated and explained why putting it at the town center is not an
   option available to the town.
   - The RLF can only do so much to protect and preserve the
   commercial activity at the Mall against challenging market forces. I am on
   the RLF Board; in the Board's view, zoning as-of-right -- such as would be
   allowed by all of the December 2 options other than Option E -- is the
   strategy most likely to protect and preserve the commercial activity at the
   Mall in the long run.
   - Knowledgeable real estate persons have advised us that requiring town
   meeting approval for new development at the Mall will in fact be a major
   deterrent to potential developers, thus increasing the risk of no added
   housing and therefore the risk of losing commercial tenants.

This is not about "letting the town die"; it's about (among other things)
keeping the village center alive.

Paul Shorb