To Paul’s last point: “ keeping the village center alive”
I personally do not believe we have a “village center”.
Melinda

Sent from my iPhone
Melinda Bruno-Smith

On Nov 29, 2023, at 3:32 PM, Paul Shorb <paul.sh...@gmail.com> wrote:

I would like to endorse the comments in this thread by Ruth Ann and Allen, and
respectfully disagree with Peter's:

  *   The people who have researched the options for a community center have
demonstrated and explained why putting it at the town center is not an option
available to the town.
  *   The RLF can only do so much to protect and preserve the commercial
activity at the Mall against challenging market forces. I am on the RLF Board;
in the Board's view, zoning as-of-right -- such as would be allowed by all of
the December 2 options other than Option E -- is the strategy most likely to
protect and preserve the commercial activity at the Mall in the long run.
  *   Knowledgeable real estate persons have advised us that requiring town
meeting approval for new development at the Mall will in fact be a major
deterrent to potential developers, thus increasing the risk of no added housing
and therefore the risk of losing commercial tenants.

This is not about "letting the town die"; it's about (among other things)
keeping the village center alive.

Paul Shorb

On Wed, Nov 29, 2023 at 9:35 AM DJCP