The claim that the town leadership is "pro development and are reaching for max
density” - as well as implying illegal favoritism - departs very far from
reality, re-casting a very complicated and nuanced landscape with a trite and
false generalization.

We have a very diverse group of people in leadership in town, with an even
wider range of opinions and perspectives.  The one consistent trait I have seen
in all of the town’s leadership - whether we’re talking of those in volunteer
positions on the town’s many committees, boards, commissions and task forces,
or those who are Town employees, is a deep devotion to the long term best
interests of the town and its residents, and a determination to navigate an
incredibly complex legal, economic, administrative, regulatory, and political
landscape to do all they can in service to the town.

We certainly disagree on many aspects of what “best interests of the town”
means, exactly, but I deeply believe that we are far stronger and more
effective for having such a wide range of voices engaged in service to Lincoln
and its residents. And, I am grateful that whether they are volunteers, or paid
staff, for the huge amounts of effort they all invest into making this
community what it is, and that they are always striving to make it ever better.

The facts are that the Mall needs help to remain viable; and that the HCA
requires the town to adopt "by right” zoning for higher density housing, with a
large set of detailed parameters to define the expectations of what that means.
 There are a very wide range of options as to how to accomplish that, even
within the HCAWG and town leadership itself.  What we’ve seen over the last
year or so is a prolonged discussion as to how best to address these two
issues.

The current direction - confirmed by a vote at the recent town meeting - is a
consensus view arrived-at through that long and intense process of research,
discussion, vetting, and negotiation with many parties - including the State.
It is not ideal from my point of view, but given all of the work that has gone
into it, I am certain it is a solid consensus view that does a good job of
finding a middle ground that most Lincoln residents will accept.

We will see how the Planning Board turns that statement of direction into an
actionable Zoning Bylaw for presentation and (hopefully) approval at our Town
Meeting in March.

- Allen Vander Meulen