I respectfully argue that the "intense process of research, discussion,
vetting, and negotiation with many parties" mentioned by Allen Vander Meulen
around the Mall development has not effectively occurred. This is evident given
the difficulties the planning board is now facing, as well the lack of relevant
traffic and hydrology studies. Unfortunately, the decision to develop the Mall
under the HCA was rushed, being presented for the first time only on Jan 30th.
Hopefully, residents will change their minds in March when they realize that
the density outlined in Option C at the Mall requires four-story buildings with
parking garages and does not guarantee that retail space will remain in that
location.
Why can't we have a lower level of development at the Mall? We know that the
scope of the current proposal is beyond the intent of the HCA, does not
safeguard our retail space, and that there are more efficient ways of providing
affordable housing. If the goal is to help the Rural Land Foundation, perhaps
we can find a less disruptive way.

Louise Bergeron