Hi Neighbors -

We are looking for a graduate student (or bright undergraduate) for a
special internship.  Please feel free to share this description with anyone
you know who is qualified/potentially interested.

Bioinformatics Intern

American Castanea PBC

For the first time ever, we are poised to return a tree back from
functional extinction.  American Castanea, a public benefit corporation, is
dedicated to the large-scale restoration of the American Chestnut tree and
to enhancing the health and fitness of multiple hardwood trees.  A team of
scientists at the SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry (ESF)
have developed a blight-tolerant transgenic American chestnut tree. Dozens
of similar pathogens pose existential threats to our forests.

Through genomic sequencing, phenotypic measurement, gene insertion and
trait selection, we are making trees and forests healthier and more vital.

Description

We are currently filling a part-time paid computational biology internship
working directly with our scientific team in support of our R&D
objectives.  This is an historical opportunity to work on the vanguard of
genomic plant science and ecology.  You will help bring back the very first
tree from extinction.

Duties

   -

   Assist in the development of a bioinformatics database designed to
   standardize and consolidate phenotypical and genomic sequencing data.
   -

   Assist with analysis projects designed to identify the genetic basis for
   core fitness traits.
   -

   Test hypothesis and validate statistical findings via lab and field
   experiments.
   -

   Assist with the communication of results to working multidisciplinary
   working groups and external audiences.

Skills required

   -

   Experience in analyzing and interpreting next generation sequencing
   data, particularly in DNA and RNA-seq
   -

   Experience in statistical genetics and rare variant analysis
   -

   Experience in both Windows and Linux environment
   -

   Good interpersonal, organizational and communication skill
   -

   Student must be available for about 12 weeks’ internship, approximately
   15 hrs per week
   -

   Graduate student who has completed at least one year of graduate program
   -

   Grade Point Average 3.0+

Locations

Remote work with potential for onsite visits.  Our locations include
Oxford, England, Boston, MA, St. Louis, MO, McGraw, NY

Best,
Michael