Thanks for the replies.
These are all great workarounds but the functionality of the component isn't
behaving as it did in DMX2004 v10.1, and was wondering if other people are
having the same experience or if it's just my system config.

My work computer is running 10.1.1 and my laptop is running 10.1.
When applying the simple methods to my laptop version it works. When I do
the same on my Work computer they no longer respond as expected.

Ex. when you make the myButton.member.toggle = 1 the button doesn't toggle
visually in DMX2004 v10.1.1 but its property is updating.  Works as expected
in v10.1.

This is happening with all the flash components from Director's built in
tool pallet.

Todd