Lee,

> I've only got DIR MX , should I be able to download Flash 8
> asset xtra and use it ?

Sorry, the answer to that question is no as the Xtra can only be used
under player version 10 (Director MX 2004, its projectors and Shockwave
10). Authoring with Director MX only allows you to author/test with up
to Flash 6 SWF files, publishing from Director MX you target the 8.5
player which also only supports up to Flash 6 SWF files. You'll need to
update to MX'04 then you can author/test with the new Flash 8 Asset Xtra
and then create content that will use it in the Shockwave 10 player.

Cheers,
Tom Higgins | Product Manager | Director & the Shockwave Player
Adobe Systems Incorporated

http://weblogs.macromedia.com/thiggins/