>I have just found (in the last couple of days) a bug in Director
>related to this.  The bug is that whenever you execute a line like
>the one below  (that sets the filename of a linked member), Director
>refreshes the screen (in effect, it does an updateStage).  If you
>have the member in a sprite, it will show the newly linked file
>immediately, before you have had a chance to do any modifications to
>the rect, height, width, etc.  Even if the member is not present in
>the frame, the screen will be refreshed.

Exactly!

>Try putting a breakpoint on that line of code.  When you hit the
>breakpoint, step once.  The screen will be refreshed.  The problem I
>am seeing is that this is happending even in an "on prepareFrame"
>handler, where there is not supposed to be any screen updating.
>
>Unfortunately, there is no easy work-around.  I have been
>experimenting with a wide range of hacks.  Nothing perfect so far ...
>
>Irv

Very interesting indeed.

My workaround has been to put the new member in a sprite that is
_under_ the old sprite on stage. The old sprite is "direct to stage"
so nothing will be drawn on top of it. I then manipulate the geometry
of the sprite below (containing the new "fileName imported" member).
Then I remove the top sprite containing the old member off stage.

I my case this means having the freshly loaded mem in the sprite
below and the resized version in the sprite on top. This yields a
couple of drawbacks, such as if you're playing a movie in standard
size and then scale it, it will appear to stop playback, as it is in
fact another sprite that you see.

But I do get glitch free swapping and resizing of media on stage.

-A.