> Hm... - from a logical point of view, the first loop uses a static
> count,
> while the latter loop always has to check the value of i and we have
> increment manually...
>
> Although my tests show something different ?:-o

Mine too--can this be right?

test
-- 7251
-- "100 / 5 / 10001"

test2
-- 16
-- "100 / 5 / 10001"
test
-- 7252
-- "100 / 5 / 10001"

test2
-- 16
-- "100 / 5 / 10001"
That means manually incrementing the counter is 450 times faster than
the static loop? That's totally counter-intuitive--and even if the
static loop is actually slower, how can it be that much slower?

I ran this test on a Mac PowerBook G3 Bronze, D 8.5, System 9.1. I get
similar results on Windows ME--6160 vs. 13.

Does it have to do with the triple-nested loop, I wonder? I'm going to
run some more tests.

Cordially,

Kerry Thompson