platform wars please!) and we would like it to be a cross platform
product if there weren't any "gotchas" like this.

I questioned this because:

#1) You cannot know up front what the main drive letter for a target
PC will be.  While most use the C: drive as the main hard disk, that
isn't neccessary.

#2)  Using an absolute path would mean that this would not work on
any Mac.  (User's are allowed to name their hard disk anything they
want - so you can never be assured of the name of the hard disk.)
Further, if you put in an absolute file address in PC form, that path
would never work on a Mac.

If anyone has experience building PDF files with associated FDF
files, can you please let me know if this claim of absolute file
paths for the FDF file is correct?  Or is there a way to specify a
relative path - e.g., relative to the current program.  If there is,
please let me know how to do this, so I can inform my client.  I find
it hard to believe that Adobe could release such a product and
require absolute file paths.

Thanks,

Irv
--

Lingo / Director / Shockwave development for all occasions.

   (Home-made Lingo cooked up fresh every day just for you.)