Neither replaces the other.
The 'tellStreamStatus' boolean turns the movie-level 'on
streamStatus' event handler on & off.
The getStreamStatus() function is the manual equivalent where you
control the polling by doing the calls yourself.

'on streamStatus' & 'getStreamStatus()' both get the same data back.

getStreamStatus(netID) is usually is used to track a specific
download, although since the first parameter returned to on
streamStatus is URL, one could case that & get similar results.

All 3 items were implemented simultaneously (In d702, if memory serves me).

hth

-Buzz