After testing, I got it to work.  Here are my results:

When the projector is rolled with Director's default Director.ini file next
to Director and the projector's own projector.ini file next to the
projector, it doesn't obey its projector.ini file.  When I rename
Director.ini (and don't replace it; so there's no Director.ini file) and
roll the projector, the projector does obey its projector.ini file.  After a
projector is rolled without the Director.ini in place and with the
projector.ini in place, if you remove the projector.ini, the projector
doesn't obey the projector.ini (obviously).

If I replace Director.ini with projector.ini (renamed as Director.ini), the
projector obeys its projector.ini file if its present, and doesn't obey it
if it's not present.

This makes it seem thus: if the default Director.ini file is next to
Director when you roll a projector, that Director.ini file is packaged with
the projector and the projector doesn't obey any projector.ini files placed
next to it.  But if there's no Director.ini file for Director to package
with the projector, the projector is free to obey any projector.ini files.
But the Director.ini file doesn't seem to get packaged with the projector
unless it's the default Director.ini.

Does that seem strange???

Charlie Fiskeaux II
Media Designer