On Wednesday, October 23, 2002, at 07:35 PM, Randal wrote:

At 5:59 PM -0400 10/23/02, Bruce Epstein - Zeus Productions wrote:
To my knowledge, Macromedia has repeatedly said they have no objection to "projector sharing."
At 12:01 PM -0400 10/23/02, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Even if it's for a good cause, it's technically a license violation and/or
illegal, so I have to ask that you not use the list for this sort of
thing. Anyone who wishes to respond should not reply via the list.
If I develop a project in Director for a client, I am effectively selling someone a projector. Why if I give that projector to someone for free would it be any different?

I am assuming that in order to be absolutely legal you would have to follow all relevant rules on Macromedia branding.
These are good questions. My take on it has remained conservative. Until I get a definitive quotable document drafted by MACR lawyers, I assume stubs are shady things at best, unless you've been technically hired.

I handled that once by requesting, as payment for a stub made for a colleague out of the country, a postcard from his city. This answers all legal requirements for contract work -- a stated aim was met, and a stated remuneration, a physical compensation for effort, was provided. The contract was legally defined and was legally fulfilled. (For one projector, defined as bla bla bla, payment in the form of such and so was received.)

This is not too different from writing someone out of your will by bequeathing them the sum of one dollar from your estate; it's hard to fight that in probate because they were acknowledged and did receive payment from your estate. That written-off person cannot claim they were ignored or forgotten, as they clearly were not.

Would JD or someone who is in a place to know where to point this, please point this in the right direction? It's obvious some clarification from the mothership is required. If I make a movie in Dir8 for Mac, is it legal for me to solicit a Windows user of Director to create a stub launcher for me or not? And if so, can I ask for a free stub, or do I have to make it (as per above) at least postcardware?

This particular instance should be addressable by the free demo DL of Director for Mac available from MACR. As the Mac version has been ordered and will arrive and be paid for soon, an interim working-model stub can (I believe) justifiably be made from the Mac trialware copy as a proof-of-concept. It is just for such POC contingencies that I think Macromedia makes the free DLs available.

Meanwhile, and pending notes to the contrary, I'll keep up with the postcard rule. :)

-- WthmO