Well I'm back and just tried:
using the image of the member-> no difference
creating a new 16,8,4,& 2 bit image and copypixeling the image of the member
into it -> slight improvement but still poor quality
One thing I did notice is that when I create a 32 bit version there appears
to be no alpha information . This would correlate with the jaggy edges I'm
seeing (but it only in  occurs in print though)
Grimmwerks?, Anybody?... help

Brad