Paul Steven wrote:
> Simply question hopefully! I want to include a video intro in a director
> projector I am creating. The playback spec is PC only however must include
> win 98 as a minimum. What is the best format to create or convert the
> digital video to in order that the user does not need any
> additional plugins
> such as Quicktime. Would an AVI work fine or does it require Video For
> Windows still as it used to do years ago when I last used an AVI in a
> project. If AVI is the way to go, should I be aware of any codec issues?
>
> The other alternative I thought of was to create separate bitmaps for each
> frame however there are 250 frames and they are all 800 by 400 pixels in
> size. As the projector will be running from a CD-ROM I would imagine it
> would not run fast enough without stuttering.

I've had no problem with mpg format using the DirectMediaXtra
(www.xtras.tabuleiro.com) in a similiar scenario to the one you describe.
Bloody nice xtra too that I have used time and again.
Tips:
Ensure your using an older windows codec
Keep the data rate down (if their running 98 they may be using older
machines/cd drives, but you know your target better than me)
Don't go with bitmaps ..
Encode your video at a smaller size and stretch the video sprite to the
desired size
Don't use the DirectMediaXtra fullscreen option unless you want to lock out
user interaction

That's about it really
HTH
Brad