At 10:35 02.04.2003 -0500, you wrote:

I would suggest organizing your vars so you know which is which, but failing that, you could do this:

 on xtraP whichInst
   instType =string(whichInst)
   isXtra =instType starts "<Xtra"
   return(isXtra)
 end

Thanks, Tab, more or less what I currently have. The problem with this is that the fnction is called very often and with all those string conversion and comparisons the performance is noticeably slower.

Organizing the vars is not an option since the script is part of an object-inspector like tool miaw which organises (the globals) as an expandable tree and there is no way to force world+dog to name global vars containing xtra instances in a specific way.

daniel