From: "Evan Adelman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, April 02, 2003 5:32 PM
Subject: Re: <lingo-l> Flash xtra breaking?

Mathew,

I've had the same problem, and, perhaps like you, didn't know there was
a problem until the project was in the client's hands (and we did a
*lot* of qc). I found that there was definitely some kooky kooky
problems with largish flash movies and the flash 5 player.  i tried
hundreds of variations of bug fixing and i got the issue down to a
manageable level (but never fixed quite right). hotsync for palms
running at the same time as my movie exacerbated the problem (i know
this sounds crazy, but trust me, i verified on a couple different
platforms - and don't ask me how long it took to figure it out ). also,
ibm thinkpads (again, don't ask me why, but this one i think was related
to their soundcards) experienced the problems more. and windows ME flash
handling is a joke. I found that I could *occasionally* (and i can't
emphasize that enough) could get the problem to occur on my win2k
machine by stressing memory levels ( i would open up every large psd i
could find, have a large flash movie open in authoring mode, play music
through winamp, any taxing thing i could think of). i would watch the
memory climb as the flash movie streamed, then if it hit a particularly
cpu taxing moment in the flash animation, everything would start
stuttering like a drunken me at Lucky Chengs.

shudders

anyway, look for high memory usage, cpu overload, sound compression
issues, and the like.

hth,
evan

Mathew Ray wrote:

Hi all,

Having a bit of a flash crisis here... for some reason on SOME machines,
flash elements of my project will play fine and then with no discernable
cause, they will start this studdering type thing where the sound seems

be stopping and restarting several times a second. the visuals
continue(albeit slowly) and the sound continues, but with a very annoying
tat-tat-tat. Once this happens, it happens for ALL flash sprites in a

movie,

even if going to a frame where the flash does not exist and then going to

different movie.

The flash movies are all time-based motion and have a streaming sound in
their base timeline. I make sure to wait until the entire flash is

preloaded

before playing and set a flag so that flash will not be played again. I

have

tested to see what would happen if mysprite.play() was being called on

every

enterframe, and the result is not the same as the behavior we are seeing

on

some machines. I am also using global flash objects in the movie to set

the

volume, but I am not messing around with playback at all.

I would love to get this to happen on my development machine, but it

seems

like none of my testing machines on any os or my dev machine can recreate
the problem. I am running dirMX on winXP pro, problem in my office all

have

XP, but specs vary widely.

What concerns me is that the problem can start occuring at any point

(even

if user has already seen flash in the movie before) and will not go away
until the whole projector is restarted :0o

Any possible suggestions?

TIA,
~Mathew

--

m u t a n t m e d i a > solutions for success

Evan Adelman | 917.916.7378 | 598 Broadway NY NY 10012 [EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> | www.mutantmedia.com <http://www.mutantmedia.com>