Teo Petralia wrote:

> Hello!
> Another question for the day. I'm trying to write in a field on the
> fly information about products. I would like to write this product in
> a decent format, I mean in line like:
>
> Bla Bla         Bla     Bla     Bla Bla Bla
> Paris           NO      Why Not That's fine
> Rome            OK      So SO   Maybe
> Vancouver       NNN     DSD     KKKKK
>
> How can I get something like this. I tried to calculate the spaces
> between a row and another and then add the missing spaces but I don't
> know why it doesn't work.

It depends on the font the information is being displayed in. Most fonts are what's
called 'proportional', that is each letter gets the amount of space on the line
(setwidth) that it needs to look good. For example, the 'M' will get much more space
than the 'i'. Each letter has been adjusted to look its best and the quanta are
generally very small for these adjustments (< 1/1000 of a letter). A few fonts
('courier' for example) are what's called 'monospace', each letter has the same
setwidth as every other. Doing what you want with a monospace font should be
relatively easy, with a proportional font it is likely to be impossible to do by
simply adding spaces.

(I was a type designer at Bitstream for four years, every now and then I get to use a
little bit of what I learned there)

This is probably a place for imaging lingo. Or multiple fields, arranged dynamically.

--
Carl West   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://eisen.home.attbi.com

I have no superfluous leisure; my stay must be stolen out
of other affairs; but I will attend you awhile.
           - Isabella, Measure for Measure, Act 3 Scene 1
-