Thanks for the contributions, Charlie and Sean!

Charlie Fiskeaux II wrote:
Members can be deleted dynamically during runtime, with member(x).erase().

As another point, you can specify the member to be used when you create a new member, if you use new(#text, member(1, 3)) where 1 is the membernum and 3 is the castlibnum (you can use a castlib name, too); then you'll know which member number it is and in which cast it is.

I wondered if that was possible. Thanks, great info!

Another approach is to use a #flash member to display text. You can use a flash member with a text field in it and change its text and it won't affect the member. So you can use the same flash member for many sprites to display different text on the same frame. However, there are potential performance hits using lots of flash sprites on the same frame.

See, there we have it! The dynamic flash text member. I will not be using flash text in this movie because we will sometimes have lots of text sprites on stage, but nevertheless it is an interesting alternative.