huh - just tested it really quickly on win2k, d8.5.1, looking at the file in notepad, and no go - just left the 'goodbye' in there...if i look at it in wordpad, same thing except now goodbye has a block in front of it....any ideas?

evan

Daniel Nelson wrote:

Hello Lists,

A recent thread on Lingo-l set me to thinking about overwriting files using FileIO
Xtra (particularly files that are longer than the string to be written).  The standard
solution seems to have been to delete the file before writing it again, but this seems
scary if one doesn't have a backup system
built.  While walking my dogs this morning, it struck me that if the string to be
written were shorter than the existing file, one could simply append the EOF character
to that string before writing it.

My newly modified FileIO Xtra wrapper class implementing this technique is available from the below URL. It must be saved first to a local hard drive, since the text file will be created using "the moviePath". It also requires BuddyAPI.

Once saved, entering "test()" into the message window will print "hello world gooodbye" followed by "hello world" if the test is successful. These are the results of successive writeFile()/readFile() commands and indicate that a longer file has been successfully replaced by a shorter file.

http://www.bluejade.com/public_resources/director/fileioxtra.html

Thank you for any feedback. I hope some of you find the wrapper useful in your own work (please send me an e-mail if you do).

Regards,

Daniel

*m u t a n t m e d i a* > /solutions for success // // / *Evan Adelman* | 917.916.7378 | 303 E 71st St NY NY 10021 [EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> | www.mutantmedia.com <http://www.mutantmedia.com>