On Sunday, October 5, 2003, at 06:19 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Actually, TRUE = anything non-zero (& <> VOID since that's also
treated as zero)

Ooh, Buzz, be careful there. I found out the hard way not to treat VOID as 0
or false. It most definitely is not. I reported this about 18 months ago, and
it raised quite a ruckus.

It is treated differently on Windows and Mac. I had a 2-day bug in an
inherited project on 8.5 that I finally tracked down to this.

I forget the exact code, and I can't wade through 4,000 lines of legacy code
to track it down at the moment, but it was something like:

if NOT (pSomeValue) then

or it may have been: if pSomeValue

and it evaluated to true on Windows, false on Mac.

Whatever the case, if you're going to use a variable in a boolean, and there
is any chance at all it could be void, do a check for voidP first.

Yeah, I might have contributed to this ruckus too. I consider it bad design to let any variable have a void (i.e., uninitialized) value. ;)

Deliberately setting a variable to void seems just screwy to me.

Warren Ockrassa | President, nightwares LLC [EMAIL PROTECTED] nightwares LLC | Consulting Programming http://www.nightwares.com/ Author | Director 8.5 Shockwave Studio: A Beginner's Guide Chapter samples | http://www.nightwares.com/director_beginners_guide/