Heres the post:

Looking further and working through the Lingo Dictionary entries, now
I see that the bugs here are not in Lingo, but rather in the Lingo
Dictionary...

(I read Direct-L in digest mode... As I'm writing this followup, I'm
sure there will be cross posts berating me on this, OK, I deserve it
;-), but only partly, since the Lingo Dictionary neglects to mention
text member distinctions...)

LINGO DICTIONARY rect (member) Page 414

The only mention here of field members, is that it can be set for
field members. It should actually state that it can be used to set
the width of field/text members, not the height.

It should further mention that the rect of member for text/field is
the size of the text itself in the text/field window rather than the
stage. The height there is controlled by the text itself. The height
of a text/field member on the stage is controlled by the pageHeight
property instead.

Under see also, it should also reference pageHeight...

Makes perfect sense, as long as it's mentioned... ;-)

LINGO DICTIONARY pageHeight, Page 359

Says this is only for fields (which is why I missed it), it works for
text members as well.

These simple additions could avoid lots of confusion. If this tripped
me up, even for only a short time while I further probed it, I'm sure
it trips up others as well...

Here is a simple handler that you can use to get the
textMemberStageRect, if you can't use the sprite rect (since it may
not be in a current sprite).

on textMemberStageRect whichMember
   whichMember = member( whichMember )
   newRect = whichMember.rect
   case whichMember.type of
       #text, #field:
       newRect.bottom = whichMember.pageHeight
   end case
   return newRect
end

Now from the previous example:

put member(1).rect
-- rect(0, 0, 178, 24) -- NOT THE RECT THAT WOULD BE SHOWN

put textMemberStageRect (1)
-- rect(0, 0, 178, 173) -- THIS IS THE RECT THAT WOULD BE SHOWN

put sprite(1).rect
-- rect(0, 0, 178, 173) -- AS WHEN INSTANCED INTO AN ACTUAL SPRITE

Thanks,
-MikeS

Come play Quipples(TM) "The Internet Game Show of Satirical Riddles"(TM)
With your Intelligent Interactive Host, NineOh(TM): http://Quipples.com

  ===============   Michael Scaramozzino, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
// DreamLight //   http://DreamLight.com, 781-932-6333
===============(R) Interactive Multimedia, Interface & Web Design