On Dec 9, 2003, at 11:16 AM, Slava Paperno wrote:

I know this line of lingo will create a bulleted list in the text member:

But does someone know how to *type* a bulleted list in Dir MX's text editor?

On Mac you can do option-8 to get a bull char: •

There's an ALT+nnnn sequence for Win but I don't recall what it is.

For end users, what I found some time ago was that it was much, MUCH easier to just add a bullet button to a text editor window. That way if the user wanted a bullet char, s/he could just click the bullet char button and the right character (determined by numToChar) would be inserted at the cursor's current location.

Note that in either case you have to add the bullets at the beginning of each line yourself. Director won't do it automagically for you, a la Word, and I sincerely pray it never does (because Word's autoformatting is usually more trouble than it's worth).

If you want to set it up so end users can have that sort of autoformatting, you could probably just do keyup detection:

  on keyUp
    if the key = RETURN then
      -- add your bullet
    end if
    pass
  END keyUp

You could also be clever and have the program add bullets only if the key is ENTER, not RETURN (ENTER being the one on the numeric keypad). That way your return key works as expected, but the user can still have bullets inserted automatically.

[I say 'keyUp' here because a ham-fingered user might end up inadvertently adding a half dozen returns by mistake, simply with a keyDown, but there's only one keyUp generated per any keystroke. So for trying to do things like autoformatting or user keystroke detection where you're testing a lot (and thus slow down system response or have to deal with a buffer of many events), keyUp might make more sense.]

Warren Ockrassa | President, nightwares LLC [EMAIL PROTECTED] nightwares LLC | Consulting Programming http://www.nightwares.com/ Author | Director 8.5 Shockwave Studio: A Beginner's Guide Chapter samples | http://www.nightwares.com/director_beginners_guide/ [To remove yourself from this list, or to change to digest mode, go to http://www.penworks.com/lingo-l.cgi To post messages to the list, email [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Problems, email [EMAIL PROTECTED]). Lingo-L is for learning and helping with programming Lingo. Thanks!]