>>If you're developing for Windows, have you looked into ActiveX
controls?

Sorry for the lack of specificity, it's gotta be cross-platform,
including OSX, sorry.  And it's on a CD-ROM, not using Shockwave, so
that might help a little.

It's a registration form for medical professionals, and the list is a
list of all the degrees or specialties they might have -- which is more
than one for many of them.  So they might select "MD" and "Ph.D" and
"EMT" and then go back and de-select "EMT" because their finger
slipped...  that's why the need for multi-select/toggle on-off.

The resultant list gets concatenated to a bunch of other crap and sent
to a server.

I guess what I'm asking for is a list box in the form of a drop-down...
? (onscreen space is tight).

By the way, don't get me wrong, I think imaging lingo is the cat's meow,
I just haven't had the chance to really dive into it, and nowhere near
the time nor mental bandwidth to start right now.  Maybe next week... ;)

Many thanks again.

best,
FBC