Look in the list archives, and you'll find lots of pointers. This subjects is revived every couple of months. I've used Microangleo (icon editor) and IconWorkShop from Axialis, both pretty good. Microangelo has a technote in the FAQ somewhere on their site written specifically for Director users.

There are two essentially similar approaches: you can edit the projector exe file to give it a new icon, but a more productive way is to edit the icon in the file called Projec32.skl in Director folder. Once that is done, every new projector will have the new icon.

Slava