Hi list,

I just found some undocumented feature in dmx2004 concerning
activex-controls: I had noticed that the properties-dialog for
activex-controls has 2 new tabs, "CallString" and "Constants". Doing a
little google-research I found the following very interesting article:

http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/education/articles/authorware6_msagent.
html

it deals with Authorware and ActiveX, but everything it says applies to
dmx2004 as well. I don't know why macromedia decided not to include it
in the documentation (at least I couldn't find it in the help), but
there is a new way to communicate with activex sprites that gives much
deeper access, the callSprite-method. As an example, the following code
lets you show the merlin-character as ms agent :

s=sprite(1) -- activex-control "Microsoft Agent Control 2.0"
s.Connected=1
s.RaiseRequestErrors=0
str="Characters.Load('Merlin','Merlin.acs')"
s.callString(str)
str="Characters('Merlin').Show"
s.callString(str)

the callSprite-method allows to use much more activex-controls than with
dmx or older versions. another example (semi-reply to grimmwerk's last
posting) is the MS ProgressBar control, which can now be used with code
like:

s=sprite(1) -- activex-control "MS ProgressBar control"
oldVal=sprite(1).CallString("Value")
newVal=min(100,integer(oldVal)+5)
sprite(1).CallString("Value("&newVal&")")

valentin