Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice regarding the possibility of using Midi sounds in Director.

I have a situation where I would like to be able to play individual notes or chords (not necessarily sequences, though this might also be a possibility). I thought Midi files would be smaller than sound samples and would also offer greater flexibility and range of sounds.

However I guess I also need to think of cross-platform playability. Most Macs will have QT installed and therefore I guess access to QuickTime's midi instruments (assuming this is still a function of QT) but PC's might have a problem with this - or are there common equivialents on the PC which play midi sounds?

The final application will be both on the Web via Shockwave and on CD or hard-drive as a projector.

I am vaguely aware of the old Beatnik plug-in but do not really know what it does or how it works. However it sounds defunct and probably not useful anymore.

I am using Director MX on Mac OS X.

Thanks in advance,
John