I don't know if this will help or not, but this comes from Sorenson's site

Problem:
When playing a Sorenson Generated (Sorenson Video 3 or Squeeze) QuickTime file (MOV) on a Windows based computer (running Windows 2000, NT4, or XP) the QuickTime player crashes when a window either in front of or behind the QuickTime player is moved or opened.

Solution:
When generating the output file, turn off B-frames (Bidirectional Prediction) from the Encode tab of the Sorenson Video 3 codec settings.

It's worth a try. It's possible too that the codec is too old on QT 5, like you suggested. If the above suggestion doesn't work, try compressing with Sorenson 2, if that's an option. When I export from QT I get the option of Sorenson 3 or just Sorenson. Play around with that a little.