But aren't DVD-R data discs burned in a different format that CD-ROM data
disc's?

They could be, but I'd try it anyway. The docs for hdiutil imply that it may be possible.

Yep. Something like

hdiutil convert "myimage.dmg" -UDTO -o "myDVD"

I guess. Seems like hdiutil would figure out the right extensions itself too. Snip from
<http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/html/hdiutil.1.html>:

onvert image -format format -o outfile
convert image to type format and write the result to outfile.

As mentioned above, the correct filename extension will be added only if it isn't part of the provided name. Format is one of:
UDRW - UDIF read/write image
UDRO - UDIF read-only image
UDCO - UDIF ADC-compressed image
UDZO - UDIF zlib-compressed image
UFBI - UDIF entire image with MD5 checksum
UDRo - UDIF read-only (obsolete format)
UDCo - UDIF compressed (obsolete format)
UDTO - DVD/CD-R master for export
UDxx - UDIF stub image
UDSP - SPARSE (growable with content)
RdWr - NDIF read/write image (deprecated)
Rdxx - NDIF read-only image (Disk Copy 6.3.3 format)
ROCo - NDIF compressed image (deprecated)
Rken - NDIF compressed (obsolete format)
DC42 - Disk Copy 4.2 image