> How would this speed things up?

I think it will speed things up if you have something like this:

on exitFrame
  nothing
end

Otherwise the next exitFrame handler--e.g., in your frame script--gets
called. If you have a timeout that's running significantly faster than
your frame rate, it keeps it from doing a lot of extra processing.

It's been discussed a fair amount in the past--enough that I know it's
an issue, but I'm afraid I wasn't paying close enough attention.
Somebody else should give you the skinny--Buzz? Jakob?

Cordially,

Kerry Thompson