> Uh.. according to Director TechNote #19172, it's
> _system.environmentPropList.directXversion

The TN is offering information on how to be sure that the user meets the
minimum requirements to even utilize the feature, part of those requirements
is having DirectX 8.1 or newer. So in checking the user's system the TN
advises ensuring that they have at least DX8.1 (the feature uses the
DirectShow component of DX). My point is that it's not always a 1-to-1 match
between the DirectX version a user has installed and their Windows Media
Player version. For example, on my Win XP desktop,
_system.environmentPropList.directXversion returns "9.0.1" whereas if I open
WMP and check its version I get "9.00.00.3075".

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Tom Higgins
Product Manager - Director