I have done so successfully with Dir 7.02, but have not tested the technique since.
The trick was that the dxr file had to be set to read-only.  For testing in authoring,
I would have the main stage movie use Buddy API to set the MIAW dir file to read-only
during its initialization routine, and then set it back to normal again during its
cleanup routine when getting ready to halt.