I use getPref and setPref in an animation math tool I distributed to others. A little bit of a surprise from MX to MX04 when the files moved from the projector folder to the user's application data folder, but no user access problems. Don't know what other users do, but I have a shortcut in the projector folder for when I want to see what files I have there.

It was simpler than fileIO and suited this situation, though others my not think it ideal for their situation.

Thomas W.J.C. McCrystal wrote:

However I was going to use getPref and setPref to do this, but I'm not 100%
sure on exactly where Director will save the text files generated by this
method, or if such a default location will be accessible on all machines
(both PC and Mac) it runs on.

If you're doing a projector, the fileIO xtra has full run of your file system. (Subject to permissions.) If you use it, you can put your file anywhere you want, say, in a subdirectory relative to your projector. If you need to create the subdirectory on the fly, buddy will do that for you.

Using fileIO is a little more work, but gives you a lot of flexibility. Alse, if you write a generic file management parent script, you can pick it up and use it in other projects, so this is a job that really only needs to get coded once.

.